Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Black out thoughts

Black out pros and cons
It's amazing how a black out can give you time for yourself. Time that you really need. Time, to think about thoughts you wouldn't have time to consider since you would rather spend that time watching TV, playing computer games, surfing the web, doing projects, and so on, and so forth.

I guess, in a way, technology can become your enemy. Even useful, generally harmless technology such as your everyday electricity.

Again, my thoughts run back to how sedentary lifestyle--caused by the temptations and automations offered by technology that leave people lazy--kills millions of people worldwide. I don't wanna die that way. I'd rather die while laughing on a long but funny conversation. Now, why did that thought cross my mind.

Non profit organizations
Before today's black out, I was privileged to enter the office of a non-profit organization in Davao. Their office is very corporate looking, and offers free services, training, and equipment and facility use. I enjoyed reading Entrepreneurship materials there, such as the book Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, and several other entrepreneurship magazines. Most of the workers there are volunteer workers that help to run the office for at least 4 hours a week per volunteer. I'm actually considering the thought of becoming a volunteer myself. The said office is the LDS Employment Services at the front of Victoria Plaza.

There are a lot of poor people in the world, and if you only rely on charity, then you really can't support them. However, through the LDS programs that help people get employment, then they can help more people in a more constructive and profitable(for the poor) way.

Mindanao Bloggers 2nd Summit
I've heard that the Mindanao Bloggers 2nd Summit will be held in Cagayan de Oro this month. The accommodations and food will be free, so yipeee! But the slots will only be available for 100 people, so hurry! Oh, I'm gonna search for the details on how to apply first...

No comments: